Wednesday 9 November 2016

How to Move to Canada (For Americans)

Ok. So this is a pretty hot topic as of this morning. Here is a breakdown of just some of the ways that US Citizens can come to Canada, both short-term and long term.....

Short Term

  • Come as a temporary worker under NAFTA. High skilled positions only require a job offer from a Canadian entity, or you can come as an intra-company transferee from a US-based company that has Canadian subsidiaries. This route can eventually lead to permanent residency if you wish to stay long-term. Some of the more high-demand positions right now in Canada are for:
    • University Professors
    • Pharmacists
    • Biologists
    • Chemists
    • Biochemists
    • Horticulturalists
    • Information Technology
    • Economists
    • Hotel Management
    • Investors
  • Come to Canada as a student on a study permit. After graduation you are eligible to receive a 3-year open work permit in Canada. This route can eventually lead to provincial nomination for permanent residency if you wish to stay long-term
Long Term

  • Utilize the Express Entry program to apply for Permanent Residency. You will be evaluated on your perceived ability to contribute positively to Canada's economy and integrate smoothly into Canadian lifestyle. 
  • If you can prove a certain level of self-sustainability, you can apply as an Entrepreneur or Self-Employed person to gain Permanent Residence in Canada.
  • The "eHarmony" approach. Marrying a Canadian citizen (or entering a common law relationship) can render you eligible for sponsorship in the Family Class. 
For further information, and consultation about your own situation, don't hesitate to contact us at Prudent Immigration in Calgary.

There was an informative podcast this morning by Mike Holthe with further info on this topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment