Wednesday 14 December 2016

New Lottery System for Parents, Grandparents Sponsorship Announced

Canada is adopting a lottery system to replace the current first-come, first-served immigration process to reunite parents and grandparents.
The change, which will take effect in the new year, is designed to make the system more fair for all applicants, according to a release from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. In past, the number of applications has far exceeded the number of available spots, creating a backlog in applications.
Between Jan. 3 and Feb. 2, 2017, Canadian citizens and permanent residents who want to sponsor their parents or grandparents will be required to complete an online form on the IRCC website within 30 days.
Once the information is properly transmitted, the prospective sponsor will get a confirmation number. The release from IRCC says duplicate entries will be removed. It warns that completing the form does not mean person has applied to sponsor under the program.
Instead, at the end of the 30 days, IRCC will randomly pick 10,000 people and invite them to complete the full application for the Parent and Grandparent Program. They will have 90 days to submit a full application.

Thursday 17 November 2016

Changes To Express Entry Effective November 19, 2016

As of November 19, there are some critical changes coming to the way that the Express Entry system will work. The most significant of these changes are:

  • Points will be awarded for job offers of eligible candidates here on LMIA exempt work permits
  • Job offers will only need to be a minimum of one year in duration once they receive permanent residence
  • Points awarded for job offers will be reduced (from 600 previously to 50, or 200)
  • Points will be awarded for study in Canada above high school
  • Candidates will have 90 days to complete an application for permanent residence if they get an invitation to apply

More detailed information can be found at the attached links, or by contacting us at Prudent Immigration in Calgary.;jsessionid=72c88b0fba9e8bda29c7b6d59e4a0112ec2b7a549ae41a29b95b4f8d604c1709.e34Rc3iMbx8Oai0Tbx0SaxuRbh50?crtr.sj1D=&crtr.mnthndVl=12&mthd=advSrch&crtr.dpt1D=6664&nid=1153419&crtr.lc1D=&crtr.tp1D=930&crtr.yrStrtVl=2008&

Wednesday 9 November 2016

How to Move to Canada (For Americans)

Ok. So this is a pretty hot topic as of this morning. Here is a breakdown of just some of the ways that US Citizens can come to Canada, both short-term and long term.....

Short Term

  • Come as a temporary worker under NAFTA. High skilled positions only require a job offer from a Canadian entity, or you can come as an intra-company transferee from a US-based company that has Canadian subsidiaries. This route can eventually lead to permanent residency if you wish to stay long-term. Some of the more high-demand positions right now in Canada are for:
    • University Professors
    • Pharmacists
    • Biologists
    • Chemists
    • Biochemists
    • Horticulturalists
    • Information Technology
    • Economists
    • Hotel Management
    • Investors
  • Come to Canada as a student on a study permit. After graduation you are eligible to receive a 3-year open work permit in Canada. This route can eventually lead to provincial nomination for permanent residency if you wish to stay long-term
Long Term

  • Utilize the Express Entry program to apply for Permanent Residency. You will be evaluated on your perceived ability to contribute positively to Canada's economy and integrate smoothly into Canadian lifestyle. 
  • If you can prove a certain level of self-sustainability, you can apply as an Entrepreneur or Self-Employed person to gain Permanent Residence in Canada.
  • The "eHarmony" approach. Marrying a Canadian citizen (or entering a common law relationship) can render you eligible for sponsorship in the Family Class. 
For further information, and consultation about your own situation, don't hesitate to contact us at Prudent Immigration in Calgary.

There was an informative podcast this morning by Mike Holthe with further info on this topic:

Amendments Coming to Age of Dependent Child. Going Up From 19 to 22.

The Government of Canada has established as a priority for the immigration program the goal of family reunification, which is about giving family members the opportunity to live with or near each other, instead of being separated by borders and long distances. It is recognized that many young adults remain with their parents for a longer period of time. Given the importance placed on education, it is not unusual for some children to remain with their nuclear family while pursuing higher education before entering the labour market. The current definition of “dependent child” in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (the Regulations) is limited to persons less than 19 years of age and is therefore too restrictive.

This proposal would amend the definition of “dependent child” in the Regulations from “less than 19 years of age” to “less than 22 years of age,” thereby increasing the maximum age of dependent children.
Related amendments would be made to other sections of the Regulations, specifically those concerning fees, sponsorship duration, and residency obligations, to ensure consistency with the intention of those provisions, in line with the new definition of “dependent child.”

Amendments Coming to PR Spousal Sponsorship Requirements

There is a condition applicable to certain permanent residents that requires a sponsored spouse or partner to cohabit with their sponsor for two years following their arrival in Canada to maintain their permanent resident status. If the couple does not cohabit for the required two years, only the sponsored spouse or partner is at risk of losing their permanent resident status, regardless of the reason the cohabitation ceased. This creates an imbalance between the sponsor and their spouse or partner, which can make the sponsored spouse or partner more vulnerable.
A sponsored spouse or partner can be vulnerable for many reasons, including age, gender, official language proficiency, isolation, and financial dependence on their sponsor. The two-year cohabitation requirement can compound these vulnerabilities, and spouses and partners who are victims of abuse or neglect are most at risk in these situations. While the conditional permanent residence provisions contain an exception to the cohabitation requirement in cases of abuse or neglect, there is a risk that sponsored spouses and partners could remain in abusive relationships. This could be due to a lack of knowledge about the exception, the perceived challenge of applying for and receiving an exception, or the fear of losing their immigration status.
The objective of the proposed repeal of the conditional permanent residence regulatory provisions is to eliminate the requirement for spouses or partners to cohabit with their sponsor for two years. This would help to ensure that sponsored spouses and partners are not placed at an increased risk of vulnerability. It would also support the Government’s commitment to family reunification and its emphasis on gender equality and combatting gender-based violence.

Canada Opening It's Doors to Increased Immigration Numbers. Bring Your Skills!

The Liberal government is boosting the base number of immigrants allowed into Canada next year to 300,000, to help drive economic growth as the country grapples with an aging demographic. The government's economic growth council had recommended raising immigration levels to 450,000 over the next five years. The 2017 targets boost entries for those in the "economic" class — skilled workers, businesspeople and caregivers — to 172,500 from 160,600. In the family class, the number of sponsored spouses, partners, children, parents and grandparents will climb to 84,000 from 80,000. Immigration plays a critical role in terms of the future of Canada, in particular in regions where the threat of depopulation is a reality. For example, If it weren't for immigration, the population of Manitoba would have declined in the last decade.

Interest in Canadian Immigration from US Off the Charts

As the news came out last night of a Donald Trump presidency, interest about immigrating to Canada peaked so high that the official Canadian Immigration web site crashed. The prospect of American citizens moving north of the border is indeed very high. And there are a number of avenues for US citizens to do just that. Prudent Immigration can help determine which one is applicable to you and your family.

Thursday 13 October 2016

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to or transiting through Canada by air. It allows Canada to screen travellers before they arrive.

Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.
The leniency period that allows travellers to board their flight without an eTA ends November 9.
You are required to apply for an eTA before you book your flight to Canada. Most applicants get approved within minutes. 

To apply you must have a valid passport, a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or a pre-paid Visa, MasterCard or American Express), and an email address. It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA and only takes a few minutes to apply. Approved eTAs are valid for up to five years.

Express Entry

Express Entry 

Express Entry is an electronic system for managing permanent residence applications under existing immigration programs.

Who can apply?

Express Entry is for skilled workers who currently work in Canada or in other countries. To apply, you must also qualify for one of following three existing immigration programs:
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
There are various requirements for each program, including language skills, work experience and education.

How can I apply to Express Entry?

  1. If you are found to be eligible for one of the three existing immigration program, let us create your Express Entry profile. It includes language test scores (IELTS, CELPIP or TEF), an Educational Credential Assessment (if needed) and documents your work experience.
  2. Based on your profile, you will receive a score and be ranked against other applicants in the pool.
  3. You can also try to improve your score to increase your chances of success by achieving higher English score and/or obtaining more eligible work experience.
  4. Top scored candidates will get an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence.
  5. If you receive an invitation, you have only 60 days to complete and submit your PR application.We recommend that you provide us all the supporting documents in advance.
  6. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) processes most applications in six months or less.

Misrepresentation, and the Right to Be Heard

Misrepresentation, and the Right to Be Heard

The Canadian government can revoke the citizenship of immigrants who are found to have misrepresented themselves during the course of their application for permanent residency and citizenship - even years after citizenship has been granted. In fact, the Trudeau government has been revoking citizenship of immigrants who has misrepresented at a great rate than the previous Conservative government. Currently, there is no proper appeal process for immigrants who are revoked under these circumstance. Civil liberty groups are urging the Liberal government to provide an appeal process in these cases, saying that by not doing so is a violation of the fundamental right to be heard (Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms S11.d.). This highlights the importance of not committing any form of misrepresentation in the course of an individuals application for entry into Canada.